Another Potential Tax Free Benefit for Hiring Your Children

April 16th, 2023 at 10:34 AM

If your children work in your business, consider giving them education fringe benefits. Doing this right creates:

You can accomplish this without a Section 127 plan when your child needs the education to do the job for your business or comply with a law or regulation.

In general, you can’t treat undergraduate degree programs as work-related education. If you pay for such programs outside of a Section 127 plan, you must treat the payments as taxable income to the child-employee.

But certain individual courses within a program may be evaluated separately, and certain courses, such as accounting courses for an employee-child with an accounting job, may qualify for tax-free working condition fringe benefit payments.

On the other hand, MBA programs can qualify as work-related education if they maintain or improve the employee’s skills for their current profession or business.

In addition to the possibilities above, if your child is age 21 or older, the Section 127 plan can offer up to $5,250 in tax-free education benefits.

Your ability to offer tax-free education benefits can be an excellent incentive for your employee-child and a cost-effective way to invest in your business’s future.

Mark S. Fineberg, CPA

Are you overpaying your taxes?
Let's Talk