COVID-19 Yes!!—Added Tax Benefits for You and Your Children

July 13th, 2020 at 12:52 PM

The COVID-19 pandemic may create tax benefit opportunities for you and your family members. 

For example, you could hire your under-age-18 children, pay them, say, $10,000 each, and they could pay zero federal income taxes. And you or your corporation, the employer, would deduct the $10,000 you paid to each of the children. 

The child wins. You win. There’s more. 

Schedule C Business 

Let’s say you operate your business as a sole proprietorship, a single-member LLC that’s treated as a sole proprietorship for tax purposes, a husband-wife partnership, or an LLC that’s treated as a husband-wife partnership for tax purposes. Good! 

That means you can hire your under-age-18 child, and the child’s wages will be completely exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA tax) and FUTA taxes. 

To be clear, the FICA tax exemption applies to the employee’s share of FICA tax that’s withheld from the employee’s paychecks and to the employer’s share of FICA tax that your business must pay over to the Feds. You have to like that! 

For 2020, your under-age-18 employee-child’s standard deduction will shelter from federal income tax the first $12,400 of wages received if the child has no taxable income from other sources. No federal income taxes for this child. You have to like that too! 

You can hire the under-age-18 child part-time, full-time, or whatever works for you and the child. Right now, children in this age category are probably not attending school, and the school district’s lengthy summer vacation may have already begun. 

In the fall, will your under-age-18 child be attending school in person or online? You probably don’t know anything for sure at this point. But in the COVID-19 era, your under-age-18 child’s availability to work in your business may be at an all-time high. 

The wages received by your child can be used to help keep the family afloat financially. If the family is not so financially stressed, your child can use some or all of the wages to fund a college savings account or make a Roth IRA contribution. 

What if My Business Is Incorporated? 

If you operate your business as an S or a C corporation, your child’s wages received from the business are subject to FICA and FUTA taxes, just like any other employee, regardless of the child’s age. 

What if I Hire a Family Member over Age 21?  

Do it! The wages received from your business are subject to FICA and FUTA taxes, just like any other employee. This is the case whether you operate your business as an unincorporated sole proprietorship, a partnership, or an LLC or as an S or a C corporation. 

Tax Advantages for Your Business 

When you hire a child or other family member, your business deducts the wages paid. 

Keep payroll records just like you would for any other employee to document hours worked and duties performed (e.g., timesheets and job descriptions). 

Issue W-2s just like you would for any other employee. 

Mark S. Fineberg, CPA

Are you overpaying your taxes?
Let's Talk