Rules You Need to Know for 1099 Filings

January 6th, 2015 at 11:52 AM

If you are a business owner, this is an extremely important briefing.

The general rule is that business owners MUST issue a Form 1099-MISC to each person, partnership, Limited Liability Company (LLC),  or Limited Partnership (LP) to whom you have paid $600 in services, rents, or other income payments, including parts & materials. The 1099-MISC is not necessary for payments made for personal matters.

If a business intentionally disregards the above requirement to provide a correct payee statement, the minimum penalty is $250 per statement, with NO MAXIMUM.

The exceptions to filing the 1099-MISC is payments to Corporations, for payments to real estate agents, and to sellers of merchandise, freight, or similar items.

Attorneys MUST receive 1099-MISC, EVEN IF THEY ARE INCORPORATED. Obviously, the IRS does not trust attorneys.

I have found that the best practice for small business owners is to request a W-9 Form PRIOR to paying any vendor they expect to pay more than $600 in the course of the year. Utilization of the W-9 will provide you with the vendor’s mailing address, Tax ID number, and also require them to indicate if they are incorporated. This eliminates the procedure of tracking a vendor down at this time of the year to obtain that information from them. And, they may now be reluctant to provide that information; or, you may not be able to contact them at all.

Business owners are required  to prepare and mail out the 1099-MISC forms by January 31st to the above referenced vendors. These forms + Form 1096 must be submitted to the IRS  and State by February 28th.

Adherence to the above rules is critical for all business owners.  

Are you overpaying your taxes?
Let's Talk